Daniel Cheng wrote:
> in a circular space, we can get infinite number of "average" by changing
> point of reference. --- choose the point of reference with the smallest
> standard deviation.

>From an infinite number of alternatives? Sounds like it might take a
while. ;-) I think we can get away with just trying each location as the
reference point, but that's still O(n^2) running time.

How about this: the average of two locations is the location midway
along the shortest line between them. So to estimate the average of a
set of locations, choose two locations at random from the set and
replace them with their average, and repeat until there's only one
location in the set.

It's alchemy but at least it runs in linear time. :-)

Cheers,
Michael