On Thursday 14 August 2008 20:01, Ian Clarke wrote:
> I've created a wiki page with my ideas, please flesh out/edit.
>
> http://wiki.freenetproject.org/WarningTextDraft

What do you think of my changes?

"We strongly recommend that you only use Freenet in darknet mode [are we using
the term "darknet" consistently? we can't force darknet here, since that
would basically prevent them from using Freenet unless they know other
freenetters]."

I disagree: If they set most-paranoid then opennet should not be available
until they change the threat level to somewhat-paranoid. The UI should make
it easy to upgrade or downgrade the threat level, enable opennet etc, but
should make it clear what the ramifications are.

Hence if opennet is already turned on, and you go to the config page, there
are buttons to upgrade to a higher or a lower security level, but if you have
insufficient Friends, the button to upgrade to a higher security level will
be greyed out with an explanation telling you to get more Friends.

In terms of the initial install selection, IMHO we should get rid of the
opennet choice page completely and replace it with the paranoia selection,
the top paranoia levels should disable opennet, and should clearly explain
that you will need some peers.

Also, it isn't always the government you're worried about. I suppose that's a
marketing decision though really.

> Ian.
>
> > ** If your life and liberty depend on Freenet's security, click here.
> >
> > GO AWAY YOU FOOL! Seriously, Freenet has known security flaws in its
design as
> > well as its implementation. Please consider your options very carefully;
no
> > anonymity system is completely safe. Click here for some known attacks on
> > Freenet. Click here for some hints for the extremely paranoid.
> >
> > ** If you need it to be difficult for your ISP, the government etc to
> > determine that you are running Freenet, if Freenet may be blocked by your
> > national firewall in the near future, or if you expect to be actively
> > attacked, click here.
> >
> > You will need to only connect to Friends to use this mode. This greatly
> > improves your security, because you are only directly vulnerable to people
> > you trust, who you have added connections to. All the basic paranoia
options
> > are enabled, but please note that Freenet is still under development, no
> > anonymity system is perfect, and there are <link>known attacks and design
> > flaws.</link> In particular, your ISP can probably detect Freenet nodes
(with
> > some work), your Friends may be able to attack you, and with a great deal
of
> > effort governments etc can probably trace content authors.
> >
> > ** If you are mildly paranoid, click here.
> >
> > Freenet has basic paranoia options enabled. You can greatly improve your
> > security in the long run by getting connections to your friends, and
turning
> > off connections to strangers.
> >
> > ** If you are not paranoid at all, click here.
> >
> > Freenet will be configured for maximum performance and minimum security.
Don't