On Friday 15 August 2008 01:16, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2008 01:00, Florent Daignière wrote:
> > * Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-08-14 18:42:57]:

> using

> available
> > >
> > > What is the point in that?  If they are intent on using Freenet, then
> > > forcing them to select an inappropriate option doesn't make them any
> > > more secure!  The question isn't so much whether opennet is secure,
> > > the question is whether it is more secure than the next best option -
> > > which in many cases will probably be a HTTP proxy, which are trivial
> > > to monitor.

> but
> > >
> > > Yes, but forcing them to pretend that they have a lower threat level
> > > than they do is pointless.  The purpose of this mechanism must be to
> > > inform the user, not make some futile attempt to restrict their
> > > behavior.
> > >

> > The user has to be aware that it's always a matter of trade-offs...
> >
> > We shouldn't speak about a "threat levels" but a "threat level per threat
> model".
> >
> > IMHO they are three major threat models:
> >     - Treachery (how much I can trust my peers to be good guys)
> > * tunnels, ... FOAF and shared bloom-filters for fast remote lookup
>
> Tunnels are relevant to network as well.

One important point here: IMHO most if not all of the treachery / local
attackers axis can and should be a per-peer trust level. Is a global threat
level necessary at all for treachery if we have a per-peer trust level?

> >     - Network (should hide from ISP, risk of MITM, ...)
>
> And above all, a remote attacker attempting to trace you from your inserts /
> FMS posts / etc. That is *the* threat we are primarily concerned with.
>
> > * JFK, ...  Opennet, sensitivity to Sybil

> >     - Local (should provide some resilience against a seizure)
> > * bucket encryption, double-datastore encryption, ... none of those

AFAICS all we need is a series of options for the network threat level, and
then a single checkbox for whether the user cares about datastore seizure.