On Tuesday 28 July 2009 20:32:45 you wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Matthew
> Toseland<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >> To do what is proposed (change the download button/text depending on the
> >> user-agent/OS), you need redirects: not dynamic page generation.
> >>
> > Okay so there is a cheap solution as long as we have access to the server
> > config. Great.
>
> Where are you getting this idea that we're somehow going to save lots
> of $$$ by going with a static-only web host?  Is there even such a
> thing as a static-only web host in this day and age (except Freenet
> itself of course)?

AFAICS no. I'm not saying we should go with a static only host, I'm saying we
shouldn't make dynamic that which doesn't need to be, on grounds of CPU cost
(which determines responsiveness in practice). Modern systems (even apache 2 to
a reasonable degree) can serve static content ridiculously fast, that's not
true of dynamic content.