On Saturday 18 September 2010 00:42:19 cvol...@gmail.com wrote:
> 2010/9/18 Ian Clarke <i...@sensearray.com>
>
> > Timing is pretty good, Google just released GWT Designer for free:
> >
> >  http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/tools/download-gwtdesigner.html
> >
> > Its an eclipse plugin that helps you build GWT UIs.
> >
> > Does it produces clean code ?
>
> > I would suggest if you are going to do anything you should build a
> > mock-up first so that we can discuss it and you can get feedback from
> > others.
> >
> > Yep, that's what I intended to do. Just wanted to check if someone already
> was invested in this. I'll try to do some mockups over the week-end.

Mock-ups are great, templating is great if it simplifies the code, doesn't pull
in huge run-time libraries and doesn't reduce performance significantly, but I
strongly object to anything that makes Freenet unusable without Javascript
enabled. Some of our users really are staking their freedom, and turn off
javascript accordingly since it is a vector for a great many bugs. Admittedly
they are naive to do so give the current state of Freenet security, but we
shouldn't make a bad situation worse. Or their systems are slow. Or they are
completely blind and find lynx with a screenreader the most convenient
solution. Etc.

GWT can be used to update real HTML in-place. Any design you can build with
widgets you can build with HTML and then "animate"/live-update by changing the
HTML. Our current web-pushing code does this. It is disabled because of
bugs/architectural issues. IMHO we should fix these issues and then enable it.
That would also solve the problem with the minimalist theme's use of
activelinks.