On 03/22/2015 05:32 PM, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> Here's a narrow question which we should agree an answer to:
>
> Is it OK to merge a pull request only having reviewed the diff?
> (I am thinking of relatively small changes here, i.e. typical pull requests)
>
> In the past I have generally reviewed every commit, in case there are
> problems (e.g. backdoors!) hidden that might be hit when somebody does a
> git bisection searching for a bug.
>
> However, this may be overly paranoid.
>
> It can be avoided completely: If a pull request is more than one commit,
> and the commits aren't helpful to the review process, then the person
> doing the merge can either squash them into one commit, or request that
> the author does so. Hence we get a clean, reviewed history, without
> having to review every commit as bugs are added and then removed. In
> practice, for straightforward pull requests, one commit will generally
> be better anyway.

My inclination is to merge the unit of review. If the diff can be easily
described in a single commit summary, the pull request is squashed and
merged as a single commit. If individual commits are needed to break up
a change into easily-described and reviewed pieces, they are merged
without squashing. (Or with squashing code review results into the
high-level separation; see "git commit --squash/--fixup".)

There is a section about it in the proposed contributing standards:
https://github.com/freenet/fred/pull/338/files#diff-6a3371457528722a734f3c51d9238c13R80

I'd like to get to a community consensus - thoughts on this?