Am Dienstag, 31. März 2015, 22:29:24 schrieb Ian:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>
> wrote:
> > It’s work from paid contributors for which
> > we need structures which reduce the cost of code-review compared to
> > what you propose
> I haven't heard of any proposal other than my own that would reduce the
> cost of code-review.  What specifically has been proposed that would reduce
> the cost of code review, and why specifically would it reduce the cost of
> code-review?

Requiring contributors to refactor large pull-requests into
semantically meaningful commits.

This reduces the cost of code review for the reviewer - which is where
we have a bottleneck.

> It is very clear that the current process is neither streamlined nor is it
> painless, so change is clearly necessary.

The process is streamlined and painless, when both parties agree to
make it easy. See the past few pull-requests for examples which show
that it works well.

The code review of fcp-rewrite was exhausting, because (a) the
pull-request was huge, and (b) the coder got defensive and long-winded
instead of accepting the review where he agreed or giving short,
friendly explanations where he thought that it was mistaken - and
accept that code which does not pass the review cannot be merged.

(a) will happen from time to time. By requiring refactoring of history
for huge pull-requests and generally making it as easy as reasonable
to review we can deal with it (though what’s reasonable might differ -
in the end it’s the reviewers who have to decide that, because they
are the bottleneck).

(b) however is not about the tools. It is about the question what
behavior we as community can expect from paid developers, and how to
organize our community in a way which minimizes the friction from very
different time budgets.

Best wishes,
Arne