On Sat, 2015-03-28 at 11:32 -0500, Ian wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with Bombe that it’s not nice to lose the history, but with
> > git that’s the best we can do. It’s a limitation of the tool.
> >

> It's not a limitation of the tool, it's a limitation created by your desire
> to misuse the tool.
>
> Individual commits should not be reviewed, pull requests should.  I'm
> really surprised that people are so resistant to this, this is widely
> accepted practice.  It certainly works very well for my team (with a larger
> codebase than Freenet).  We've never had any of the problems you guys seem
> to be so concerned about.
>
> If the pull request is too big to be reviewed, then it should have been
> broken into small pull requests.  Typically a pull request should represent
> *at
> most* 4 days worth of work.

This is what has been happening in practice. Most of the volunteers'
contributions are less than 4 days worth of work. In fact, I can't
remember when anyone has last submitted a piece of work bigger than
that. Steve, do you?

The exception is the paid staff. If we change the way they work going
forward there's no problem to be solved :)

Florent