For those that appear to be craving a "bold new strategy", one thing I've
proposed in the past would be to put the main Freenet codebase in
"maintenance mode", and throw our resources behind http://tahrirproject.org/
(possibly renaming it "Freenet 2" since Tahrir is a terrible name).

Tahrir addresses several key concerns:

   - The people we actually want to help, those in China, Iran, etc, often
   have very constrained bandwidth.  Tahrir is designed for this, Freenet is a
   bandwidth hog
   - Tahrir is designed for a Twitter/Facebook type use-case
   ("microblogging"), which has proven very powerful in terms of promoting
   political change
   - It's a fresh-ish codebase, much smaller, although needs some cobwebs
   blown off
   - Can incorporate a mixnet, but actually better suited to a mixnet than
   Tor because latency is less of an issue

Clearly, this would not be a direct successor to Freenet, it would not be
backwards compatible, and would be designed for a different (but perhaps
more current) use-case.

Thoughts?

Ian.