On Tuesday, January 05, 2016 10:38:38 AM Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:32 AM, <x...@freenetproject.org> wrote:
> > Overall comment about your mail: I think such threads are *asking* to
> > cause a
> > flamewar. Pick lots of random, unrelated stuff, and complain about its
> > state -
> > the "lots of" guarantees that you'll make as many developers feel affected
> > negatively as possible. So you'll have lots of stressed people arguing,
> > which
> > is the recipe for a flamewar.
>
> I'll respond to Arne's initial email in a minute, but just on this - I feel
> that as a project we have to be able to point out problems honestly without
> causing people to get defensive.
>
> Now perhaps part of this responsibility is on the part of the person
> pointing out the problem, they need to be diplomatic, and part of the
> problem is on the other side, where people need to try to interpret
> criticism as help, rather than taking it personally.
>
> Most other projects manage this, I mean, almost every bug report could
> potentially be interpreted as criticism of someone's work, and yet for
> whatever reason that doesn't seem to happen in other projects.

I think people *know* where our problems are, and they *are* working on them.
As said: 30 PRs in a week is crazy high.
Repeating the problems to them even though they're working on it just makes
them feel pressured.
So now, the people who are currently working to fix the said issues will stop
working, and waste a day discussing, I can feel it in the air :(

(I mean I *am* rearranging my reallife around trying to be able to contribute
hours every day even though there's no money, so you'll get a fixed WoT; no
need to pressure me by repeating "we'll take it out and use a different
software!" even though it is getting worked on. In fact, the past 6 months of
my WoT work have *not* even been *deployed* yet since there was no fred
release to ship them. So I would be happy if people could deploy the existing
performance fixes before threatening to replace it with something else :)

Haven't we done this often enough within a very short timespan?
We've had like 3 or 4 of those threads within a month I think.

But anyway, to get to a useful point: If people want to see something
improved, they should start a thread about the single thing. Not a cluster-
bomb to hit many things at once. This isn't even a useful pattern to do if we
forget about Freenet for a while and merely think about how to properly
discuss on a mailing list in general.