Ian, the thing I find frustrating with your approach is that we'd regularly be
moving to something new based on what's literally trending. I'd be much happier
with paying for Mantis hosting than spending effort, breaking links, forcing
users to mess with accounts if they still want to work on issues, and losing
functionality moving to GitHub's issue tracking. (Issue relationship fields are
an example of something we use and would lose.) We're in agreement that server
administration is annoying, and I'd much rather continue using Mantis in a way
that doesn't put server administration on us. Unlike GitHub's wiki, I do not
see a (semi-)automated way to export GitHub issues into another system, and I
really don't want to put our issues in something we can't later move them from.
(I do see some extraction scripts using the API but they seem to output just
HTML; I do suppose that's solvable but would mean additional work.)

I'd be fine with moving to GitHub's wiki, provided we also have something in
place to ensure old links continue working. because Cool URIs Don't Change:
https://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html We can download and modify it as a
Git repo, Markdown is better than MediaWiki's markup, and I found a tool for
semi-automatic conversion:
https://github.com/philipashlock/mediawiki-to-markdown

I do agree there's a big backlog of issues that are probably not going to be
addressed anytime soon, but that's hardly unique for a long-running project.
Manual migration is not a viable way forward for the bug tracker.