On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 9:51 AM, Steve Dougherty st...@asksteved.com  wrote:
Ian, the thing I find frustrating with your approach is that we'd regularly be
moving to something new based on what's literally trending.

That's a caricature of what I've said.  My main point is that we should not be
administering our own server when there are good free 3rd-party hosted
alternatives for everything we need to do.
My secondary point is that Mantis is a dying piece of software, and it has been
dying for years, but if you are all really that attached to it then we should
find a reliable and cost-effective 3rd-party hosted solution, which the project
can pay for.
Unlike GitHub's wiki, I do not see a (semi-)automated way to export GitHub
issues into another system
Github Issues has a simple and comprehensive API which makes it just as easy to
export data from it as from anything else, moreso given that it's likely to be
much better supported than Mantis going forward.
, and I really don't want to put our issues in something we can't later move
them from. (I do see some extraction scripts using the API but they seem to
output just HTML; I do suppose that's solvable but would mean additional work.)

You don't even know what future issue tracker we'd want to export to, so it's
hardly surprising that a script for it doesn't yet exist.  I would estimate just
a few hours of dev work to export from Github Issues to any other reasonable
issue tracker.
I do agree there's a big backlog of issues that are probably not going to be
addressed anytime soon, but that's hardly unique for a long-running project.
Manual migration is not a viable way forward for the bug tracker.

Nobody is advocating that.
Ian.