On Thu, 06 Mar 2003, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> the MIME handling code. For downloads, we stream the buckets straight
> out, the worst case for a segment is we got all 64 check blocks, and 64
> of the data blocks, we have to reconstruct the other 64 data blocks, so
> we are using 150% of the original segment size, temporarily. However,
> the blocks are (possibly temporarily) in the store as well, making it
> 250%, plus a bit for the healing blocks. This will be alleviated by
> probabilistic caching when it eventually is implemented.

Pulling an idea from an old thread,

Would it be possible to double-purpose the files in the store?  Tradeoff
some CPU for disk space.  Obviously, the files in the store are
encrypted, so decrypt as needed while running FEC reconstruction.
With this, the only temp files are up to 64 blocks that need to
be reconstructed.

I imagine it'd be a pretty heavy layering violation, though.

--Dan