Ian Clarke [ian at locut.us] wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:06:00PM -0400, Nick Tarleton wrote:
>> Point raised by greycat on #freenet on OPN (btw, which server
>> is mirrored by
>> #freenet-opn on IIP?): The error pages (the biggest offenders, but
>> all
>> gateway pages really) require 62 connections for all the
>> images! Could this
>> not be reduced greatly and save a LOT of loopback bandwidth and
>> CPU time?
>
> Well, most of those images should be cached by the browser, if they

> aren't - then that is a bug.
>
> But in this day and age, 60 loopback connections shouldn't be a big

> deal.

60 x 10 empty NIM slots = 600 connections

Sure, a single error page doesn't harm, but have you ever been on a page
with many empty NIM slots? Well, you could go to my freesite, being a
good demonstration. And don't do it with your high-end equipment but
with the computer of your little sister. It's also fun to open it through
a public Freenet gateway.

I don't know your Freenet habits, but I have the impression, that while
you're having your 5 o'clock tea, you only browse the Pooky page to read
the latest news and then you switch over to Frost...

BTW: Even Google's error page is uber naked! (But still has corporate
identity colors.) See: www.google.com/NotFound
(According to Matthew, that page is "not user friendly" because it is
text only.)

jnk

--
[ SSK vs CHK - Speed up your Freenet browsing experience!  ]
[ freenet:SSK at padAbxDs9jixhld6wGLvZ0TyoFAPAgM/SSKvsCHK/2// ]

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: