On 9/19/05, Yongqian Li <yongqli at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have noticed that the installers on the freenet website is seriously
> outdated. It is for Java 1.4, which is not only not the most current version
> but has shown to have serious security bugs (see
> http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3439391). The installer
> that does not include a JVM forces me to download 1.4 despite the fact that
> I have 1.5. The one that does come with a JVM crashes on my Win XP computer.
>
> Will someone either upgrade the installers or inform me how I can upgrade
> them?
>
> Thanks.
I'm afraid the Windows installers have always suffered from neglect.
I don't think anyone is currently assigned to maintain them.  You are
welcome to take a shot.  They can be found in the contrib\wininstall
CVS.  They are Nullsoft scripts.

This is what is in the readme:

How to build installers for "Freenet for Windows"
Any questions? mailto:dave at rebuzz.org

Tools required
==============
1) NSIS, the free Nullsoft installer.
        http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
        You should use NSIS 2

2) UPX (for windows, even if you already have it for cygwin)
        http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Make sure makensis.exe and upx.exe are in your %PATH%

Freenet software
================
The webinstaller does very little other than show a GUI while it
downloads the freenet
executables and .jar files and other bits and pieces from
http://freenetproject.org

So there are no additional files required to build the installer
(assuming you've already
checked out the whole wininstall project from CVS - if you have this
file, you probably did!)

Building the installer
Run build.bat from the Contrib/wininstall directory
It currently builds just freenet-webinstall.exe

Contact Matthew for CVS access.

--
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the
death, your right to say it. - Voltaire