From: bbackde at googlemail.com <bbac...@googlemail.com>
Date: Apr 14, 2007 10:32 AM
Subject: TestDDA questions
To: Discussion of development issues <devl at freenetproject.org>

I read the wiki doc about TestDDA and I have some comments/questions.

1)
Please define "READ" and "WRITE" exactly.
> Do you plan to do any read operation?

After some time I came to the conclusion that "READ" means I want to
GET/request a file from freenet, and the node have to write it into
the directory. IMHO READ/WRITE with the opposite meaning is to
abstract for a client developer *g*. But at least define READ^=GET and
WRITE^=PUT to make it clearer.

2)
>You can retry to enable DDA requests more than once for either the
same or a different directory. Only last test result will be taken
into account.

Please describe in more detail. Can I TestDDA several directories at
the beginning of my application run, because I use multiple
directories? Or is always only 1 directory allowed for DDA? And how
does the node remember what client tested which directory, is this
bound to the socket connection of the client and must be repeated for
each new connection?

3) TestDDAReply

> You *SHOULD* send a TestDDAResponse message after getting it.

*SHOULD* or *MUST* ? I think you must.

And I miss some words that the client have to create a new file and
write the WriteContent into it. How should a client behave if the file
creation fails ? Just skip the creation and let the node recognize
that the file is not there?

4) Windows vs. *nix
Maybe add some words that the TestDDA concept is bound to the
directory name completely. Mapped network drives with different names
(e.g. on linux and windows) could be DDA eligable, but due to the
directory name used in TestDDA you cannot use DDA there.

I will do some tests with the new code. Is it really true that 1028
will make this mandatory? In all other cases you gave us a specific
amount of time instead a fix next version number. What if you need to
release 2 version in the next few days?