* bbackde at googlemail.com <bbackde at googlemail.com> [2007-04-14 10:32:25]:

> I read the wiki doc about TestDDA and I have some comments/questions.
>
> 1)
> Please define "READ" and "WRITE" exactly.
> > Do you plan to do any read operation?
>
> After some time I came to the conclusion that "READ" means I want to
> GET/request a file from freenet, and the node have to write it into
> the directory. IMHO READ/WRITE with the opposite meaning is to
> abstract for a client developer *g*. But at least define READ^=GET and
> WRITE^=PUT to make it clearer.

You got it right : READ= get a file from freenet

> 2)
> >You can retry to enable DDA requests more than once for either the
> same or a different directory. Only last test result will be taken
> into account.
>
> Please describe in more detail. Can I TestDDA several directories at
> the beginning of my application run, because I use multiple
> directories? Or is always only 1 directory allowed for DDA? And how
> does the node remember what client tested which directory, is this
> bound to the socket connection of the client and must be repeated for
> each new connection?

You can TestDDA as many directories as you want when your application
starts; the node handles it per socket, meaning that you have to repeat
it on each new connection... And you can't replay TestDDAResponses.

> 3) TestDDAReply
>
> > You *SHOULD* send a TestDDAResponse message after getting it.
>
> *SHOULD* or *MUST* ? I think you must.

Well, if you don't the node won't clean up the files, so yes I guess
it's a must.

> And I miss some words that the client have to create a new file and
> write the WriteContent into it. How should a client behave if the file
> creation fails ? Just skip the creation and let the node recognize
> that the file is not there?

Yes, the test will fail; the client ought to fallback to direct access
mode.

> 4) Windows vs. *nix
> Maybe add some words that the TestDDA concept is bound to the
> directory name completely. Mapped network drives with different names
> (e.g. on linux and windows) could be DDA eligable, but due to the
> directory name used in TestDDA you cannot use DDA there.

There is no crossplatform way of identifying them (thanks to windows not
respecting URI conventions) ... and java isn't able to handle that anyway.

On linux you don't map a network drive; you mount it. And mounted
filesystems will usable with testDDA provided the mount point path is
the same... I guess you can do the same on windows mapping the same
drive letter.

> I will do some tests with the new code. Is it really true that 1028
> will make this mandatory? In all other cases you gave us a specific
> amount of time instead a fix next version number. What if you need to
> release 2 version in the next few days?

Well, the API is stable now (me and toad agree on it) so it's unlikely
to change... 1027 won't enforce testDDA but will feature it; 1028 is
planned to be a self-mandatory release so yes it will enforce it... and
no, sorry there is no ETA appart from "soon" yet.

I will update the wiki to take your remarks into account :)

NextGen$