On Thursday 18 December 2008 13:29, Zero3 wrote:
> Matthew Toseland skrev:

> > enabled)

> >> Random thoughts:
> >>
> >> - Website does kind of well in leading the user from front page to
> >> downloading the installer (could still be a lot more KISS in my opinion
> >> though)
> >> - Installer should (upon finishing) inform the user that they can/should
> >> open the "Browse Freenet" shortcut on their desktop to start. Obviously
> >> the shortcut should have a bunny icon.
> >>

> > You really think they will? Most desktops have hundreds of icons on them.
Most
> > systrays are hidden by XP. And XP hides the start menu too. It is work to
> > find it, we need to get the user on board before they have to do that
work.

> Desktop: If user has more icons than the desktop can hold, or cannot
> spot the bunny icon for the mess, I'd say it's "too bad for them".
> Really, what can we do?
> Systray: I'm not 100% sure on how XP determines which icons to hide, but
> I'm quite sure we can bump ours visible by making a balloon tip. (We
> should anyway, ala "Hi there! You can access Freenet at any time by
> right-clicking on the bunny icon down here, bla bla bla")
> Start menu: As far as I know, new entries are actually highlighted in
> the start menu!
>
> In any way, we might want to consider asking about some/all of these 3
> things in the installer as well:
>
> 1) Install desktop icon?

We probably should ask about this, but they can always remove it; simple is
*good*.

> 2) Install start menu shortcuts?
> 3) Run Freenet after installation?
>
> Most people will probably only care about 3), but by putting in 1) and
> 2) we further limit the risk of pissing off experienced users (who also
> hates the desktop/start menu shortcut hell).

I don't see what anyone would have against the start menu.

And why install Freenet if you don't want to at least configure it straight
away? IMHO they are more concerned about it running continually in the
background...