On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Matthew Toseland
<toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008 17:33, Ian Clarke wrote:
>> I see a simple scenario where a "sneakernet" would be useful is in a
>> situation like Burma or Tibet where stuff is happening, possibly a
>> political crack-down, and the authorities are actively trying to
>> prevent information from getting out.
>
> You are assuming a short term emergency, right?

In this scenario, yes - although I think similar issues arise in
aggressively repressive regimes such as Burma and North Korea.

> This is what happens now, except that the determination of what is most
> important is made individually. If there is no filtering, it will of course
> be flooded with garbage.

Well, its kinda what happens now, except this proposal would be
faster, lower risk, and much more convenient.  Flooding is a danger,
but I'm sure it could be mitigated.

> Manual filtering will work better, if stuff is of universal relevance. Any
> broadcast system will be flooded.

Manual filtering would require transmission in the clear, and would
require far more human intervention.  Some kind of web-of-trust for
authors may be more appropriate.

>> 1. The platform for this type of thing is a small mobile device,
>> getting Freenet to work well on an iPhone would be a world of pain -
>> and doesn't buy anything for us
>
> No, to do that requires a massive amount of short range bandwidth. Phones do
> not have this. What you want is to swap actual memory sticks, at least until
> PDAs with UWB (maybe wireless USB) are available.

iPhones support 802.11n, which apparently operates at up to 70Mbps at
ranges up to 300m.  That seems plenty fast enough to me.

> Furthermore, with the currently planned changes IMHO Freenet 0.7.1 will be
> able to run in a 64MB memory limit. Running it on a low end device is not so
> far away, and would have some massive advantages (e.g. being able to ship it
> on one of the fanless boxes they currently ship for overnight bittorrent
> downloads).

It would be nice if Freenet could run on an iPhone, but I'm not
holding my breath.

>> 2. Most or all Freenet apps assume a few seconds latency on requests
>> (Frost, Fproxy, etc), yet the latency with the sneakernet would be
>> measured in days.  Freenet's existing apps would be useless here.
>
> Not true IMHO. A lot of existing Freenet apps deal with long term requests,
> which would work very nicely with sneakernet.

Such as?  FMS is pretty slow even with multi-second requests, do you
really think it would be useful with multi-day requests?  I can't
think of a single Freenet app that would be useful over a transport
with multi-day latencies, it would be insane.

> I see it more as a long term, attack resistant, scalable solution for general
> communication in places where Freenet-over-UDP doesn't work.

Agreed.

> What is wrong with this vision? Technically speaking, this might be best
> post-0.8, but I do think that there is a certain synergy here.

Two things having "a certain synergy" is way way way below the bar
needed to justify incorporating the functionality into the same app.

Ian.

Email: ian at uprizer.com
Cell: +1 512 422 3588
Skype: sanity