On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Zero3 <zero3 at zerosplayground.dk> wrote:
> Ian Clarke wrote:
>> That being said, I think the key question is still: what do we gain by
>> dropping 1.5 compatibility?
>
> IMHO, for what it's worth: I'm not qualified to tell exactly what kind
> of new stuff 1.6 introduced, but I don't think we should fall behind
> upstream. If 1.5 is now end-of-life, we should already have moved to
> 1.6, which has been out since late 2006. I don't think supporting a
> minority of users with hopelessly outdated systems justifies holding
> back development.

It doesn't, however:

1) We're not necessarily talking about hopelessly outdated systems,
but macs that are using the latest but one version of the operating
system (which was current until just a few months ago).

2) Its far from clear that development is being held back in any way
by maintaining 1.5 compatibility.

There really aren't very many improvements between 1.5 and 1.6
(unlike, for example, 1.4 and 1.5 which had major language changes
like generics).

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke