I've made a few tweaks of mhatta's package, to fit a bit better with the FHS.
Same repo (debian-staging) - but make sure to checkout the "dir-struct" branch
from fred-staging or it won't work.

Pre-built packages are available here:
https://downloads.freenetproject.org/~infinity0/

Summary of directory structure:

drwxrwsr-x root    freenet /etc/freenet
drwxrwsr-x root    freenet /etc/freenet/noderef
drwxr-sr-x freenet adm     /var/lib/freenet/complete
drwxr-sr-x freenet adm     /var/lib/freenet/plugins
drwxr-sr-x freenet adm     /var/lib/freenet/state
drwxr-sr-x freenet adm     /var/lib/freenet/store
drwxr-s--- freenet adm     /var/log/freenet
drwxr-x--- freenet freenet /var/run/freenet
drwx------ freenet freenet /tmp/freenet