On Thursday 02 December 2010 19:49:19 xor wrote:
> > For example, we could make 1) more difficult if, any time we see two peers
> > in the came class-B address range, we disconnect from both of them, or at
> > least never route anything to either of them.
>
> Restricting the amount of connections from an IP subnet is definitely
> something
> which should be implemented.
>
> However this might screw up performance because it might lead to people being
> only connected to peers which are long-distance in terms of the Internet....
> In the worst case you will only have peers from another country because some
> countries have quasi-monopolistic ISP structures: For example in Germany
> there
> is a large variety of ISPs but many of them use the backbones of the former
> federal phone company which was converted to a private company less than two
> decades ago and therefore still has the best infrastructure....

Well, from a security point of view, connecting mostly to people in other
jurisdictions is probably a good thing.

> Therefore, it should probably only be enabled with the "NORMAL" security
> level...

Right.

> and it should be investigated how it behaves in practice.

Yeah...

> One useful measurement for that would be obtaining a "IP => Country" map

Care to find one?

> and
> displaying a country flag next to each peer, then even non-Freenet-engineers
> could figure out whether their node is well connected.

I don't see what you mean by well-connected here.

> Further, I propose an additional and easier to implement improvement against
> this attack: Provide a configuration option "Do not connect to strangers from
> my country" which prevents Opennet connections to peers from the same
> country...
> - Attackers are very likely to be from the same country, both federal and
> commercial ones.

Interesting possibility, similar to some other networks. I'd be a bit worried
about impact on routing - given the small performance bias in opennet, isn't it
possible that the nearby peers location-wise are all in your country?