On Dec 3, 2010, at 1:11 AM, Volodya wrote:
> While it's true i still hear of some ISPs in different countries which charge
> disproportionate amount for the traffic between countries. I had an
> accointance
> from Portugal, and he said that it was only "2-3 am" when he had free traffic
> from other countries, and within Portugal it was free 24/7 (well after the
> monthly charges).
>
> Also you will slow down the connection in some places (like Ukraine) where
> within the country the connection is quite fast, but it's complete rubbish to
> the outside world.

If you take another look, xor proposed this feature to be optional. People
should choose the setting that best fits their situation (and we should make it
easy to understand).

> So what this feature can lead to is once again people going and looking to
> establish darknet connections to *just anybody* in their own country, making
> the
> things worse rather than better.

I don't see why this would happen. If this option is off by default, then it
would likely only be used by those who need it and understand its repercussions.

An extension to this potentially helpful feature would allow users to set
whether their node connects to others inside of their own address range, how
many peers to accept from any particular range, whether to allow connections
from corp/gov IPs, and anything along these lines. Of course, this would/should
only be used by knowledgable users and there should be default values in place
that don't upset the "force" (Freenet's routing status quo).