Ian Clarke wrote:

> We do have a project license key for the excellent YourKit Profiler,
> which can help track down and diagnose both memory and CPU
> bottlenecks.  It is also free to try for 30 days I believe.  If you
> are seeing CPU usage or memory issues, might I suggest using YourKit
> and dumping a memory or CPU snapshot with it?

I've tried in the past to hunt down memory leaks with jconsole/jmap but it's
not easy at all, and the code related to insertions is really hard for
somebody not familiar with it (or, well, at least it was for me).

In my (dated) experience, memory problems were in the end caused by leaks
related to fetchs/insertions, and not to idle/sporadic browsing operation of
the node. But for some time I published an index site, and running the 24/7
spider and the (weekly) insertion caused the node to crash regularly on OoM.
jconsole was quite explicit on the memory ramping up, although the spider
used a fixed number of fetchers.

Too bad I never managed to narrow down to anything that could be reported
and be helpful in fixing something. I might try with the YourKit profiler if
I find some spare time.

.