On Friday 30 July 2010 04:29:54 pm Matthew Toseland wrote:

> 1. Offer to turn on encrypted swap in the installer. Keep encrypting
>  everything. Warn users about saving files out, and media files, and work
>  towards playing media files in an embedded (e.g. java) player that doesn't
>  use plaintext temp files.

Offering to reconfigure swap to be encrypted is out of scope. And not possible
on Windows

>  2. Give up on encrypting anything on disk, and
>  offer to install TrueCrypt if it isn't already installed.

Offering TrueCrypt is out of scope

I see a third option:

3. Realize that most users have a real LOAD of stuff on their hard disks which
could get them screwed. Get rid of physical security. Encrypting the Freenet
stuff does not help because they will use browsers which cache dangerous stuff
and do downloads of dangerous stuff etc. The really paranoid ones will use
TrueCrypt anyway. And encryption makes stuff slow.

I mean it IS nice that we have a physical security level but I wouldn't have
offered that feature from the beginning on.

If you want to be safe when your computer gets seized you absolutely have to
do full disk encryption, something will ALWAYS leak out otherwise.