On Saturday 31 July 2010 15:45:59 Cory Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Matthew Toseland
> <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 30 July 2010 17:02:35 Cory Nelson wrote:
> >> I know that at least Windows lets you lock pages in RAM. ?Maybe Java
> >> has a launch option that does this? ?Even better would be to use large
> >> pages, which are more efficient (lowers overhead and TLB cache misses)
> >> and are also locked in RAM.
> >
> > No, not practical given java is garbage collected, and not supported anyway
> > afaik. Unless maybe some recent nio change?
>
> Large pages seem to work with -XX:+UseLargePages
>
> Found here:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/largememory-jsp-137182.html
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/vmoptions-jsp-140102.html

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are discussing.

It is possible that there is some variant on ByteBuffer.allocateDirect() in a
recent JVM that allows us to allocate some space that is locked in memory,
which would provide additional confidentiality for keys. Anything that is just
created as an object - *and that includes the temporary structures involved in
encryption implemented in java* (whether by us or by sun) - is potentially
swappable.