On Saturday 13 November 2010 01:16:57 cvollet at gmail.com wrote:
> 2010/11/11 Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org>:

> >> I'm not sure we should allow password-less accounts, maybe it makes sense
> >> for users who don't really care about their anonymity though.
> >
> > Eh? It's their own computer!
> >
> > The only reason to have a password is:
> > 1) To encrypt the downloads, uploads, and client-cache separately for each
> > account. This is an option but is quite heavyweight.
> > 2) In case others have access without having root access i.e. for
> > multi-user systems.
> >
> > Many people won't need either of these things.
> >
> Hum, true. Maybe it's best to leave the password as an option then.
> >> We should add
> >> a warning if they want to have a non protected access to their account.
> >> Regarding the one-account/one-client-layer I agree. But one user shouldn't
> >> be able to eavesdrop another user's download.
> >
> > Anyone who has physical/root access can see all the accounts very easily,
> > unless we have separate encrypted client layer per account.

Which might be a good idea, as long as you can leave your other accounts
running when using a different one, as was recently pointed out.

> >> What do you mean by dropdown login? If it's presenting user with different
> >> possible login, I disagree, we should let the browser manage that. Like in
> >> linux, if you don't know the username, well, too bad. Or, we could add
> >> another layer => account => identity. Dunno if it makes sense.
> >
> > I was just thinking of making it easy, whatever...
> Well, yeah, but if you share your computer, one can easily log in. If
> we let the user decide if he wants to remember the login, then it's
> his choice and his problem if someone log into his account.

> >> I don't have in mind any notification that can't be addressed to a specific
> >> group of users. Do you have something in mind. (btw, and I don't know why I
> >> didn't ask before, nor why I do ask now, but if someone could forward this
> >> mockup to FMS/Freetalk/Frost, and have feedback from community (even if
> >> this
> >> doesn't concern the apps currently covered by the mockup), it would be
> >> great
> >> :)
> >
> > I'm not following. Most alerts concern Freenet itself. Some concern e.g.
> > downloads, bookmarks; we can move them. And there's a difference between
> > notifications/events and alerts; we can have pop-up notifications in the
> > system tray for things like completed downloads?

> Hum, ok, so in Freenet UI notifications for alerts (users have to
> close them manually)

Yes, but I'm not sure where we want to show them, probably depends on urgency?

> and system tray notifications for events
> (auto-hide after some seconds) ?

Yes, although we may want to aggregate events into alerts (as with completed
downloads), or have an event log on a page the user can visit if they want to?