On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Volodya <Volodya at
whengendarmesleeps.org>wrote:

>      > Why must we inconvenience 99%
>>     > of our users to accomodate the irrational 1%?
>>
>>    Okay, since you asked, the main cases I can see where you'd want to
>> turn off
>>    javascript:
>>    1. Users with low end computers. People in hostile regimes will often
>> have
>>    low end computers.
>>

>> If they are capable of running Freenet with its current resource
>> requirements
>> then they are capable of using a browser that supports Javascript.
>>

> If that would be true (which it isn't), then by the same logic if a person
> is capable of running Freenet then that individual is capable of using a
> browser with no Javascript.

Yes, they are *capable* of using a browser with no Javascript, but they are
not forced to.

> P.S. Why is this still being discussed? Isn't it clear that the only way to
> make peace between two camps is *js with fallback*?

Because *js with fallback* is probably twice as much work.

If those that care so much about supporting non-JS browsers are willing to
build a non-JS version of the UI, or maintain the existing one, then problem
solved.  I get the impression though that they'd rather just throw in their
opinions without offering to help deal with the consequences of doing what
they advocate.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke