On 2010/10/28 (Oct), at 1:00 PM, Ximin Luo wrote:
> On a more abstract note, I think it's contradictory to be "under
> active
> development" and still want to support old software. It's trying to
> cover too
> much ground.

I would agree if this issue was "holding freenet back", but I don't
get that impression at all. It's not like we're linking against an
obsolete library/distro, because java-6 can run java-5 bytecode.

In that sense it is more an issue of a smaller-but-stable platform.

I would vote *against* moving to java-6 for several reasons:
(1) There are still many capable but PPC Apple machines being used.
(2) Foreseeable interests exists that would be easier with java-5
(like embedded-freenet).
(3) There is no stated immediate benefit.
(4) It would require a lot more effort on my part to keep up with a
java-5-compatible freenet fork.

--
Robert Hailey