On 2011/08/30 (Aug), at 3:17 AM, Thomas Bruderer wrote:

> Thank you Ian! Good message! I am 100% behind your whole post! The
> routing must go back to a simple system!

Even tearing up the current systems for a fifo queue is destructive
without organization and a means of comparison.

In the science of software, there are generally two kinds of commits:

* Features - divergent, potentially disruptive, tend to contain bugs
* Bugfixes - convergent, generally repairing feature disruption,
rarely unmask other bugs

On 2011/08/29 (Aug), at 12:58 PM, Ian Clarke wrote:

> The problem is that we come up with solutions that are too
> complicated to analyze or fix when they don't work....
> The cause is complexity, which just grows and grows as we try to fix
> problems we don't understand by layering on more complexity.

And what is the cause of that? Is the problem really one of behavior?
emotions? workflow? organization?

Matthew has presented some very real problems which he is trying to
work around (with much frustration, I'm sure). I think he needs more
leverage

If you read my suggestion below, we can discuss how it would allow:

* a full-network-sized network to try out new features & bugfixes
* nearly-identical traffic on both networks
* zero traffic redundancy (network waste)
* easy 1:1 comparison of various performances of two implementations
(for measuring network effectiveness)
* full network uptime (at worst a totally-broken / 0% unstable-side
would yield a 50% reduction in effectiveness)

It is simply a matter of *organization* and *multi-versioning* (which
IMO, are both solved problems).

This is also tied into the subject of 'mandatory' node update
deadline, as the utility of a split network would diminish if it's
stable-side succumbs to the same 'chase' issues.

--
Robert Hailey