Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 12:32:17 schrieb Ian Clarke:
> Regardless, even if queueing doesn't use additional bandwidth or CPU
> resources, it also doesn't use any less of these resources - so it doesn't
> actually help to alleviate any load (unless it results in a timeout in which
> case it uses more of everything).

Queueing reduces the total bandwidth needed to transfer a given chunk, because
it gives the requests the leeway they need to be able to choose the best
route. This results in shorter routes.

Actually it is a very simple system which is used in any train station: You
wait before you get in instead of just choosing another train and trying to
find a different way. And the fewer contacts we have, the more important it
gets
to choose the right path.

Also the increase in latency should be in the range of 20% for CHK requests
and SSKs which succeed. Only unsuccessful requests should have a much higher
latency than with OLM, because they don?t benefit from the faster transfers
(shorter routes).

Best wishes,
Arne