On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 4:10 PM Adel Atallah <adel.atal...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> To sum up, here is what I can do:
>
> On XWiki Commons:
> * Introduce a PropertyDisplayType annotation that we can use to
> specify with which type the macro parameter should be rendered.
> * Add the *display type* in the property descriptor (use the existing
> *property type* as default)
>
> On XWiki Rendering:
> * Add the *display type* in the parameter descriptor (use the existing
> *property type* as default)
>
> On XWiki Platform:
> * Use the PropertyDisplayType annotation, on reference macro
> parameters, with the EntityReference type (for the include and display
> macro)
>

> * Display a document picker for the EntityReference type and make sure
> free text is enabled (so that we can enter a reference manually)

It's not that simple.. If the reference parameter already has a value that
is not a document reference then by showing the document picker that value
will be parsed / resolved as a document reference and thus displayed as if
a document has been selected. This can confuse the users. For instance, if
someone writes in wiki syntax:

{{include reference="path.to.p...@file.txt" type="ATTACHMENT"/}}

and then edit the page with the WYSIWYG editor, he will see "txt" as
selected value when editing the macro...