Hi Scott

On 17 February 2011 07:53, Merritt, Scott A. <merri...@bw.cdc.gov> wrote:
> Thanks for this Crizelle. In particular, the vision in Botswana is to have
> DHIS serve as the repository and visualization tool of record for health
> data for the foreseeable future. But, as electronic tools roll out, it would
> be nice to eliminate the need for data re-entry from these systems, while
> allowing for manual entry from the programs and locations that are not yet
> electronic. At the same point, as the tools change, we would prefer to have
> a single common interface via Mirth to DHIS as opposed to creating
> interfaces for iHRIS, all of our EMR tools, DisaLab, ETR.net, …. Is anything
> similar happening elsewhere? If not, can someone help explain why not?

My understanding is that Mirth is essentially an HL7 switch which
transports and transforms electronic patient record data.  I guess
this is why all your EMR tools can talk to it and so they should.  But
DHIS (and for that matter iHRIS) is not an EMR tool.  We don't deal
with individual patient data.  And it would probably be a bad idea in
terms of application scope if we did.

There will be a point in all of your EMR tools where they generate
summary reports.  How many malaria cases this month etc.  It is this
summary data which is the province of dhis.  And HL7 is not the format
for representing that summary data.  In the absence of an HL7
equivalent for summary data we have been  strongly advocating that
systems use SDMX-HD for this to avoid the proliferation of interfaces
you refer to.

As I suggested (guessing really) it is probably possible to do the
aggregation at the HL7 level with some sort of HL7 aggregation filter,
but I doubt if this is the easiest way to do it.  When I think of the
logic engine and reporting framweork in a tool like OpenMRS for
example, I can imagine it would take some heavy lifting to get that
functionality into Mirth.  All of the EMR systems should have the
ability to produce summary reports and the challenge is to get them
all to use a comon standard reporting format (ie SDMX).  I think by
analogy you might think of dhis as your SDMX-HD hub in the same way as
mirth is your HL7 hub.

Regards
Bob