Okay, now it's been attached. Sorry.

Lennon Day-Reynolds

> I'm not sure where it *supposed* to come from, but I was able to get a
> copy of python.m4 (the Automake macro for Python configuration
> options) from the CVS version of Ammonite. I've attached it in case
> anyone else is having problems -- drop it in your aclocal directory
> ('aclocal --print-ac-dir' for the uncertain).
>
> I'm still having problems with the build on RH7, but am working
> through them; on SuSE 7, though, the newest CVS version absolutely
> refuses to compile -- something to do with their screwy placement of
> all the GNOME core libraries and apps, I think.
>
> Lennon Day-Reynolds
>
> phsung wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was trying to compile Dia from cvs. When running autogen.sh,
>> aclocal gives me this error:
>>
>> aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' not found in library
>> aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' not found in library
>> aclocal: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' required but not defined
>> aclocal: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' required but not defined
>> aclocal: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' required but not defined
>>
>> which can be found in AC_PROVIDE() in various macros in
>> acinclude.m4.  I've tried to find a source package that has this
>> macro defined but has no luck in finding it.  I have python 1.5.2
>> installed and there are no m4 file in the source package.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrick

## ------------------------
## Python file handling
## From Andrew Dalke
## ------------------------

# AM_PATH_PYTHON([package, module])
#

# Adds support for distributing Python modules or the special form
# of a module called a `package.'  Modules of the first type are
# files ending in `.py' with no '__init__.py' file.  This must be
# placed on the PYTHONPATH, and the default location is PYTHON_SITE,
# or $(prefix)/lib/python$(PYTHON_VERSION)/site-package
#
# A package module is contained in its own directory.  This directory
# is named PACKAGE, which was the name given to automake.  The full
# directory path is PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE or
#   $(prefix)/lib/python$(PYTHON_VERSION)/site-package/$(PACKAGE)
# where site-package is on the PYTHONPATH.  The `__init__.py' file is
# located in the directory, along with any other submodules which may
# be necessary.

AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],
 [
  dnl Find a version of Python.  I could check for python versions 1.4
  dnl or earlier, but the default installation locations changed from
  dnl $prefix/lib/site-python in 1.4 to $prefix/lib/python1.5/site-packages
  dnl in 1.5, and I don't want to maintain that logic.

  AC_PATH_PROG(PYTHON, python python1.5)

  AC_MSG_CHECKING([local Python configuration])

  dnl Query Python for its version number.  Getting [:3] seems to be
  dnl the best way to do this; it's what "site.py" does in the standard
  dnl library.  Need to change quote character because of [:3]

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_VERSION)
  changequote(<<, >>)dnl
  PYTHON_VERSION=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; print sys.version[:3]"`
  changequote([, ])dnl

  dnl Use the values of $prefix and $exec_prefix for the corresponding
  dnl values of PYTHON_PREFIX and PYTHON_EXEC_PREFIX.  These are made
  dnl distinct variables so they can be overridden if need be.  However,
  dnl general consensus is that you shouldn't need this ability.

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_PREFIX)
  PYTHON_PREFIX='${prefix}'

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_EXEC_PREFIX)
  PYTHON_EXEC_PREFIX='${exec_prefix}'

  dnl At times (like when building shared libraries) you may want
  dnl to know which OS platform Python thinks this is.

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_PLATFORM)
  PYTHON_PLATFORM=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; print sys.platform"`

  dnl Set up 4 directories:

  dnl   pythondir -- location of the standard python libraries
  dnl     Also lets automake think PYTHON means something.

  AC_SUBST(pythondir)
  pythondir=$PYTHON_PREFIX"/lib/python"$PYTHON_VERSION

  dnl   PYTHON_SITE -- the platform independent site-packages directory

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_SITE)
  PYTHON_SITE=$pythondir/site-packages

  dnl   PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE -- the $PACKAGE directory under PYTHON_SITE

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE)
  PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE=$pythondir/site-packages/$PACKAGE

  dnl   PYTHON_SITE_EXEC -- platform dependent site-packages dir (eg, for
  dnl        shared libraries)

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_SITE_EXEC)
  PYTHON_SITE_EXEC=$PYTHON_EXEC_PREFIX"/lib/python"$PYTHON_VERSION/site-packages

  dnl Configure PYTHON_SITE_INSTALL so it points to either the module
  dnl directory or the package subdirectory, depending on the $1
  dnl parameter ("module" or "package").

  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_SITE_INSTALL)
  ifelse($1, module, [PYTHON_SITE_INSTALL=$PYTHON_SITE],
         $1, package, [PYTHON_SITE_INSTALL=$PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE],
   [errprint([Unknown option `$1' used in call to AM_PATH_PYTHON.
Valid options are `module' or `package'
])m4exit(4)])

  dnl All done.

  AC_MSG_RESULT([looks good])