I just remembered one of the things I had to "tweak" to get everything
running: I had to create a dummy 'dia.pot' file in the 'po'
subdirectory, or the compilation step failed with make complaining about
having no rule to create it.

I'm beginning to think that my workstation is braindamaged, and that RH
and Ximian are to blame...it's about time to go back to Potato...