> We have received information that GSA has issued a legal interpretation
> that is pretty devastating to the SEEDS program. Because SEEDS operates
> under the umbrella of a Community College and gives equipment to
> non-profits that are not K12 public schools, it's their position that we
> are inelligible to receive surplus from Government angencies.

thomas, i'm pretty sure your situation is covered by executive order
12999, issued by president clinton, which permits and encourages the
donation of surplus federal computers to schools as well as nonprofit
educational organizations.

http://www.computers.fed.gov/Public/12999.asp

here in the washington dc area, federal agencies have been good about
distributing surplus computers to educational nonprofits in accordance
with this executive order.

        see http://innercity.org/success/donation.html

           i'm hoping the good people from other countries on this email
list might use this
info to convince their governments that surplus computers belong back in
communities,
not in warehouses or landfills.

             i'm pretty sure there are still several hundred thousand
surplus government computers sitting in warehouses around the
washington dc area.  some journalist needs to write a story
about the successes -- and non-successes of executive order
12999.  i'd be only too happy to share what i know about both
the successes and non-successes.

              - phil shapiro
                 arlington, virginia

--
Phil Shapiro [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/ (personal)

"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso