I've conducted dozens of electronic meetings.

Rule One: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Rule Two: Use free telephone conferencing systems where callers pay ordinary costs of a call to some location in the United States. I use www.mrconference.com. Works just fine.

Rule Three: Set up a blog and point people to it.

Rule Four: A simple web page with a simple, short URL works best. On that web page, put a short description of what viewers can if they link to same. List these with a Arabic Numbers - 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. When talking about them over the phone, all that needs to be mentioned is the Arabic number.

Rule Five: Text chat rooms work fine for those who can be on the phone and on the Net. Write me if you would like to use ours. Though there are better ones, including ones to with archive and instant hyperlink capability from the text area...a nice feature for those in the chat room who want those on the phone to learn more about themselves or topics related to the conversation.

Rule Six - Cut by 2/3rds the number of people you think will attend and you will get be more accurate. People are really busy and getting real time attendance is a hard one.

Rule Seven: For small money you can record. But I am not sure that is worth it, unless you think you can get a radio station to air the conversation, in which case it is WELL worth it. (Larry Elin, you should be in position to help with that - getting conversations aired on community and university radio stations is a pet project of mine...which I have failed to do...but keep trying. Larry?)

BUT - the value of voices talking in a call center, cheaply and affordably, is a wonderful thing to knit the leadership together.

John Hibbs
http://www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs