Hibbs' third cent: It's hard - and rare - to successfully argue with Bonnie Bracey, one very brilliant individual. It's important for a guy with Andy's skills to not waste time fixing things that no longer need fixing -- which also bends the case toward unlocking HTML gates. And if the visually impaired and members in the countries mentioned don't object, then why should I push back?

Here's why - Partly based on the tree huggers here in Oregon, and partly based on worries about a world gone nuts in the business of heavier and heavier consumption, and partly based on the logic behind Stuart Brand's The Clock of the Long Now {http://www.longnow.org}, I'd like to promote - everywhere - the idea that, many times, less is more.

My argument is not so much about bandwidth saving as it is about developing a cultural philosophy with and through people - such as are found on this list - who share my over-consumption worries.

There may well be rich textual gains from HTML, and less work for Andy - but at what cost to a culture many of us on this list would like to nurture?

That's why I push back. :)