Okay, i want to say this up front. I am a college student (20 years..Human
Ecologist), who know's very little about this subject--the Digital Divide.
All the following is generally based off of gut feelings. I am of the
Net-Generation, and grew up with the privilage of having access to the
internet and all of the modern technologies as they grew into what they
are today. I am also disposed to want to "help" all those 4ish, 5ish
billion people in the world to have the same the opportunity and to have
the same privilages as I have including having them not need to work the
fruits of their lives until they rot in order for ME to continue and live
the way i am used to with all my luxuries. How to make this "utopian"
thought a reality is the quest i have just recently begun. And i will say
that the following will likely be a very ill-articulated piece, with many
misinformed ideas and one that are simply incomplete. What can i say, i
know very little. But, that's okay. In the big picture, so does everyone,
even if they act like they don't, right?

I am very interested in learning more about the worlds economic,
political, scientific and technological, ecological, agrocultural and
social systems (and whatever else is out there...call it an
interdisciplinary approach) with respect to how we can make the world a
less unequal and destructive place to live. I want to find ways to
engender creativity and motivation in the people empower them to live the
lives that they want and that they know makes them happy and is
sustainable; that might mean that they will adopt these technologies that
i am so used to in my life and that i at times, like many including the
author of the article think are impossible to live without anymore; or it
might mean that they take some of the technologies that help them live
better lives and ignore others that are more of a burden to them that a
help; or it might mean they continue with their own lines of "development"
and do as they see fit without the use of modern technologies, which does
not mean in my opinion that they are "resisting change" or "ignorant" or
whatever; for everyone is always in a state of change, especially in
todays world, it doesn't have to be forced. Everyone is human and everyone
has a right to choose the lives they have in this world, as communities
that they exist in and as individuals. So what i have right now is a great
interest in learning how modern technologies could be of use as a creative
tools to the marginalized and "underdeveloped" in moving everyone closer
to the ideas of accomplishing the rediculously HUGE and inhumanly scaled
problem we--all the people in the world--are faced with currently;
Poverty.

Now, with respect to this article, my heart skipped a few beats. I can say
in the least that it is a bad article and i wonder if i could actually
write something up for Forune some day soon in the future :-) J/K, and at
the most, i hope the author misunderstood some things (or i did) and i
really hope that simply "bringing technology to the developing world"
isn't really the approach they are taking. Unfortunately though, I already
do know that it is and it's a strong movement all across the world;
however i would imagine it is more often to be found as an initiative in
the top of the chain of economic and political power, not at the bottom
except where the people have been convinced that it is "better for them"
this way. This is one problem, or might i say, doubt, hesitation or
sceptisism that i have towards the idea of "bridging the Digital Divide."

The corporations and politicians might have all the good intentions in the
world (they are most important i would believe because they seem to have
the biggest "political clout" out of everyone, since they are they ones
who are at the top of the latter currently and apparently forever that can
truely manipulate everything in this system that is being talked about,
right?), but what's a for-profit company going to intend to do over
everything else in the end? Profit. Do people even exist in the pursuit of
profits? I think not. Except possibly in a few very rare occasions such as
a business here and a business there, or when they are treated as means to
an ends (appendages..for profit...labor) or on the opposite end, as
investors or consumers (consider taxes included). Perhaps also one can
consider that people are considered as human when big money that is left
over from the left over profits is put forth for AID projects. To me
though, these mostly seem to be lame attempts that try to tackle problems
much greater than they could ever be humanly possible and commonly become
more destructive in their attempts to repair the social and ecological
damages already made by the profitiering that they parttook in to begin
with.

David Kirkpatrick say's clearly that the initiatives that now have great
importance in the eyes of some of the top leaders in the world is how they
can help the developing countries "truly participate in the global
economy." He says further, to emphasize the greatest reason for the big
corporations to participate in this goal, "the world's 4 billion or so
poor are the largest market that has ever existed. This is true not only
in terms of their raw human numbers, but in their aggregate buying
power...despite average earnings of the equivalent of no more than two
dollars a day."

Full proof of the consideration of these 4 billion or so in poverty not as
humans, but as appendages to the current economic system (spend every last
cent, it's for the better). Of which the participants in the WEForum are
the top benefactors. The people are not this time as labor but on the
other end of things as the consumer. Either of them though are of great
benifit to the big companies profits, their bottom lines. So of course
this is motivating for them, but i think for the wrong reasons and that is
as David Kirkpatrick says, "a business imperitive". And this isn't even
considering the fact that consumption itself, if increased greatly with
all 4 billion or so beginning to consume like the "stardard of living"
consumes, the world is going to have an even greater host of ecological
problems to face with and the issue that made it to the 3rd spot on the
list of the world's biggest problems, Global warming, will be exacerbated
as well.

Everything in this article points to the true motivations of the actors in
this forum exactly. Poverty equals a great opportunity to increase
profits.

For further examples, the only way the low cost computers will be produced
is if the can be "produced in enough volume." Anytime this type of activty
begins, there will be a push rather than a pull for the products to regain
the investment costs as profit. I can't imagine how that could ever
benifit those who are "intended" to gain from such products. Especially
because things such as these computers and wireless products go out of
date so quickly. Think for a minute about the situation where Brazil for
example goes ahead and buys a bunch of this patented, contract based,
propriatary equipment, then installs it, costing a whole ton of money that
they probably don't have in the first place to spend. They will quickly
become dependent on those same companies to upgrade to new products that
have become available to them, and will have likely been forced upon them
by these same companies that are saying it's for "their benifit". The
truth is that many companies like Microsoft and Cisco simply STOP
supporting old hardware and software after 5-7 years. Simply STOP. Which
at that point then the Brazilians will once again be "underdeveloped"
because they are not up to our "standard of living" and the cycle will
continue on.

Plus David Kirkpatrick claims having such technology, not considering the
above, just simply thinking in a "technologicaly deterministic" mindset,
will give the "worlds disenfranchised ... greater political clout and
financial opportunities." Hmmm....How? I don't see this in any way
necessarily giving the people at the botton of the "trickle" tree
political power, except to say the communication technology give the
people a chance to organize in great number against those in power and
with brute force make policy changes in governments that truely favor them
over corporations (see for example the Zapatista movement in Chiapas). But
for some reason i would really doubt the corporations would actually be
talking about this...why would they?

I think one of the 3 of the worlds problems should have actually been
concerning the structure of the current economic system and all those
"members [of the WEForum] representing the world’s 1,000 leading
companies, along with 200 smaller businesses, many from the developing
world, that play a potent role in their industry or region," and everyone
else in the top that is involved at the top. Then they should have gone
out of their way to have given those "disenfranchised" a chance to talk
too! Why does that happen so often? All these Forums and stuff talking
about how they can help the majority of the people live better
lives...without having the majority able to have a voice.

(World Economic Forum
website:http://www.weforum.org/site/homepublic.nsf/Content/Members+and+Partners)

They all need to consider how they themselves are inherently huge factors
in why there even exists a Digital Divide, let alone the idea of poverty.

And we all need to think about how we can truely "reenfranchise" the
"disenfranchised". I mean, who DISenfranschised them in the first place?
That's the real "moral imperitive" we should have; not to make sure all
the poor people continue to play well in the system that WE westerners
think is RIGHT for them and everyone.

At least...right now that's what i think.

Thanks for listening. I would love to hear what you have to say.

-Chris