One of the things I find interesting about the history of podcasting is that it was developed, in part, as a way for people with limited bandwidth to download audio. Audio blogging isn't new by any means; lots of us have been doing it for years. The thing that made podcasting kick into high gear was software that could be set to automatically download audio blogs. That way, you could leave on your computer, go about your business, and have it download new audio content, perhaps over the course of the night. Of course, podcasting has become the hip phenom it is because of its association with iPods, but in reality, you could just think of it as a simple way to download big files in the middle of the night for use on your desktop.

So in theory, podcasting _software_ could be a great tool for helping folks with limited bandwidth access large files when they're not actively using the computer. One of the problems is that many podcasts are becoming huge files, tens of megs in size, which are prohibitively large for low-bandwidth users.

Additionally, there's a strong push to _professionalize_ podcasting. In other words, rather than having any Joe or Jane Shmo record a short audio blog with free, easy to use tools, more people are trying to imitate the Adam Currys of the world by investing in pre-amps, studio mics, sound absorption blankets, etc. While all of these bells and whistles make your podcasts sounds more professional, it also raises the bar qualitatively, as well as raising expections of the public at large that podcasts should sound like broadcast radio. It's an audio quality arms race in which only the best-sounding podcasters survive and the rest of us using our computer's internal mic get left behind, and that's de-democratizing the whole medium.

That's why I'm glad Chris Lydon and his team are doing Open Source Radio - they're using mobcasting (in this context, public contributions via telephone) and are unabashedly happy to mix in content that's low-quality from a technical/broadcasting point of view. Even though the sound quality will leave a lot to be desired, it puts the power of podcasting back into the hands of the people....

ac

Taran Rampersad wrote:
Snipped some stuff...

John Hibbs wrote:

Here's my caveat. The one area that I think needs improvement is how
both groups can get more attention?

My guess is that podcasting, satellite radio, community radio and the
innovative spirits that are found in both groups are the main
ingredients for wide publicity - and more money, accelerated results.
Yet, both groups seem satisfied to reach a few hundred in their real
time events and a few thousand in their electronic circulations.

OK, I have only one problem with this, really: Podcasting. Note - that
is not to say that I disagree with *mobcasting*. Podcasting, by itself,
isn't something I deem very important as it is and as it is used. Aside
from marketing hype... podcasting has limited value to the vast majority
of users of the internet. Audio blogging is for people who have bandwidth.

-- ----------------------------------- Andy Carvin Program Director EDC Center for Media & Community acarvin @ edc . org http://www.digitaldivide.net http://www.tsunami-info.org Blog: http://www.andycarvin.com ----------------------------------- _______________________________________________ DIGITALDIVIDE mailing list DIGITALDIVIDE@mailman.edc.org http://mailman.edc.org/mailman/listinfo/digitaldivide To unsubscribe, send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of the message.