Actually, Don, it's being argued that much of the rioting was instigated by blog postings and other technology-driven innovations on the part of the youth involved, ranging from mass-SMS to a giant blog site run by a radio station (will have to find the link for this).

I would also argue that providing technology tools is a step in the right direction, towards empowerment. However, the ability to organize as a community can also be warped to translate into the ability to organize a riot, since this is also an extreme example of community organizing. Instead of becoming a tool of needed empowerment, I think technology is currently being portrayed as a tool of excess empowerment, to be feared by the proponents of the status quo. The media reviewed the blogging factor in the same light as media websites being hacked by radical elements, on the general theme of "youth have all of this scary technology, the police are powerless, we should all fear" ...which I think is an extremely negative, though extremely typical, media position.

An example, from the Washington Post: http://tinyurl.com/e2rwu

A more moderate review of blogs commenting on France from Yahoo News: http://tinyurl.com/774sr

Fearmongering might hurt technology initiatives in Europe, and also pave the way for greater governmental controls / oversight on freedom of speech and access to technology, simply to prevent another France incident. How can we portray (publicly) a distinction between blogging, which is a tool several of us use and promote, and malicious hacking / defacing? As long as the two are mentioned in the same breath, and the media is shedding such negative light on blogging as a technology, we're liable to face major obstacles in promoting CTC-like work.

For example, can you imagine the negative publicity if a blogger is convicted of inciting riots, and it later comes out that they learned how to use the internet, or learned how to blog, as a result of a community technology initiative? Funders will not be keen to go anywhere near that possibility. I'm worried that the word "blog" might itself be gaining very negative connotations...and media coverage of the rioting in France is going to hurt community technology efforts far more than it will open people's eyes to the positive potential inherent in technology education.

  D.

--

Dave A. Chakrabarti
Projects Coordinator