Dave A. Chakrabarti wrote:

>>Actually, Don, it's being argued that much of the rioting was instigated by blog postings and other technology-driven innovations on the part of the youth involved, ranging from mass-SMS to a giant blog site run by a radio station (will have to find the link for this).

An excellent point! I had wanted to bring it up, but just couldn't find the way to verbalize this appropriately. Thanks, Dave, for doing so. Indeed, technology has played a very big role in "organizing" youth in the riots in France. I've also wondered what role myth/urban legend has played in the tensions there (I recall hearing some whoppers after the acquital of the police in the Rodney King beating that were spreading on the streets without benefit of SMS; I can only imagine what would have happened if technology had been "better" back then).

A few years ago, I wrote a paper for the United Nations Information Technology Service (UNITeS) on the use of hand held networking tech in volunteer-related efforts, and I touched on the phenom of cell phones used to organize demonstrations.
http://www.unites.org/Html/Resource/unites/unites0.htm
I included this caution: "Musician and U.S.A. Green Party activist Jello Biafra noted in an article on Zdnet.Uk: 'Be careful of the information gossip you get on the Internet, too. For example, late in 1997 I discovered out on the Internet that I was dead.'"

Ofcourse, no one is advocating that youth NOT have access to networking technologies. This is just an acknowledgement that such technology isn't *always* used for "good." What implications this has for community tech/digital divide efforts? Dave brought up some possible scenarios to consider in this regard. What immediately comes to my mind is a need for media literacy training to always accompany networking tech training.

(and on the subject of urban legends/myth interfering with relief and development efforts, I'm gathering examples of such, and how such are addressed, here:
http://www.coyotecommunications.com/development/folklore.html).

--
Jayne Cravens Bonn, Germany

Services for Mission-Based Orgs