Hello Dave,

> Incidentally, the technology to use a
> TV for two-way communication has been around for years...no MIT
> development needed

PRECISELY !! It is available for the longest time (I just thought I play safe!)
so why reinventing the wheel? Why spend money on another 'screen' where there
might be already one in the home of the child? If not, I am sure is cheaper to
provide a monitor than to provide a lap-top? Yes. I can see the argument about
these days multimedia via broadband mean using the lap-top as TV!! but then is
that what the lap-top is for ...

As for if there is TV in their homes? WELL, more readily then they would go out
and buy a computer!! You would be surprised. I am orginally from a 3rd world.
And by the way, as has been discussed before on DDN before, one 3rd world
country is not the same as the next one. Therefore one should not think a $100
lap-top is beneficial for ALL the children in this world.

NO ... 1st world tools can solve 3rd world problems ... IF and ONLY they apply
at the appropriately. I am sure the organization you mentioned is of a
different level and can fit in with what you offered? The $100 lap-top is for
children. Your organization perhaps call for different skills and tools?
Sending a Yale professor to teach first year primary school would not be the
right tool I am sure??

Cindy