There are many gaps. There are many populations at different stages of
development with differerent needs. Thus, different solutions need to
be developed. I do have a problem with the requirement for 1 million
laptops of the same design (which I don't really like, ut will wait to
see) - but that isn't that many in Brasil, with a population of almost
200 million or so. There are populations that this tool will server,
but the problem will be that having got the  million laptops into
Brasil, for example, then we assume that they're done and then - why
aren't they moving forward?

So - in the Caribbean, we need
1) Free wireless infrastructure (for those who can get a computer  -
donated, gift, etc but cannot afford US$90/month for internet access)
2) Community telecenters with repair facilities and school centers
that cater to more than the computer science students (for those who
don't have computers at home)
3) Good electrical power infrastructure (for everybody)
4) Education that takes advantage of the computer tools
5) Affordable  Bandwidth to the country
6) Free lunch without stigma for poor children
7) Free school books (we have in T&T)
8) Free transport to school
9) Free uniforms for poor children

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I came up with so far.

Jacqueline

--
Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com