Terry King wrote:

> Looking at available machines, the "Pocket PC" machines might start to
> be close, IF they came down in price from $400 to $100 AND had a power
> solution. The Simputer
> http://www.amidasimputer.com/specs/
> could have a major upgrade to add some of these capabilities, and
> maybe the cost could be brought down as well.

The keyboard and power supply are my only problems with the Simputer at
this point, and they are looking into these things. With a USB on the
present Simputer, a USB keyboard can work. Fortunately, there's this
thing called 'Open Hardware'. The problem is that people aren't getting
the exposure to fund the changes.

What I have found, though, is that the tapatap virtual keyboard works
VERY well, and can be fast once the user is used to it. There are also
predictive text solutions which are being used on cell phones which
could be incorporated, but again... they take getting used to. However,
most of us aren't adventurous to use a DVORAK keyboard (I couldn't get a
laptop with one where I looked...), whereas the QWERTY keyboard was
designed to slow down typists. I regularly curse the keyboard I own,
because my fingers have to move too far... a design that kept metal keys
in typewriters from sticking together.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad