Maybe we need to see that the infrastructure is all there. Or build it, using
the cheap stuff available locally. I like the idea of using discarded water
bottles to do wifi (if available cheap) That is from
http://www.usaid.gov/stories/mali/pc_ml_geekcorps.html

We talking about bridging divides: what do the communities we hoping to brige
want?  Do they know the options available?  Have we let the hordes of curious
kids (kids are curious everywhere, once they belly full - they are kids first)
loose on the technology we have? Kids can be poor, or rich, but are mostly too
innocent to have the adult conception that technology is hard and difficult to
understand.

While the community technology (like straw) should be light and eaay to carry
(and even that is open to dispute) - a big word for portable, it should not
cost the community a lot of money, or tie them into packages, rather than
(better, IMO) ideas about computing...

There may be some idea coming out there.  Besides, cheap cell phones are
probably the true wave we should be riding, though I have no particular dog in
this hunt.

-rj, long time lurker, first time poster.