C K Prahlad has also argued that the poor are not content with sub-standard
offerings.. For instance they will spend on education even when "free"
government schools are available just to ensure they get a "better" product
or service.

Similarly in the case of computing.. They want what works and works well for
a s little as necessary.. I would think it may be more appropriate to create
a $100 laptop as a challenge to bring down the cost of computing device by
an order of magnitude rather than simply sticking to a number that was
originally coined..

--
Satish Jha
Special Adviser, Kofi Annan Centre for Excellence in ICTs