In a message dated 7/16/06 5:07:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I read your comment as suggesting that teachers are incapable of technical
> self-development due to extraneous factors (or have I misunderstood?). A lot
> of the work we did with Telecentre's in the '90's involved working with
> remote district schools to give teachers contact with technology - In many
> cases it was a matter of kids teaching the teachers, however it was not
> uncommon for teachers to also use the Telecentre after school-hours for
> individual skills development. I'm not sure I agree with you that all
> teachers lack the will and drive required for self-development in the face
> of adverse learning conditions (time constraints etc.).

I am not talking about sort of teaching with technology. I mean to use
technology as more than a tool so that students know you know your stuff.
  Media for inquiry, communication, construction, and expression.

I think you are misreading me. I am self taught. Well Phil and others prod me
to do the new thing. My specialities are in subject matter. I studied with
Cilt.org.
I am really talking about something that few people think about, the
meaningful integration of technology into the content area. I know that kids
can teach
the tech part, my husband works for GenY, and I have been often helped by a
kid or two, I guess I think Moodle, wikis, and etc are ok, but I worry about
the use of the deep web. I am not even talking about the cave, and cube, and
teragrid. I know that too.

I worry about extraordinary resources like those at the Exploratorium, and at
www.eotepic, and the use of and understanding of more than the internet. Like
the Forum on Nanotechnology, or
http://www.exploratorium.edu/nanoscape/forums.html.

I want teachers to be able to teach science, math, technology and engineering
with all the certainly that they used to have   in using the book. We create
fearless, savvy, smart teachers.
 http://www.edutopia.org/foundation/courseware.php

I am talking new applications and great resources in visualization and
modeling and in high performance computing. I am going to SC 06 I think, where
this
is what happens.
 The Education Program theme this year is "Impacting the classroom curricula:
Bridging Discovery and Learning." The program builds and expands on the new
pedagogical model for High Performance Computing where focus for participants
is to empower faculty, students and K-12 educators to apply computational
science across a variety of content areas. These areas include nanotechnology,
life
sciences, earth and atmospheric sciences, computer science, mathematics, and
aerospace engineering and aeronautics.

Before however one does computational science there are some other models out
there.
Chemsense is http://chemsense.org/. Biology workbench is
http://workbench.sdsc.edu/
There is a student edition. Bob TInker has Molecular Workbench (MW) is even
better. See http://molo.concord.org in fact, there is so much there.....

 This is a database of learning activities based on MW. Also look at
http://mw.concord.org where there are more models but most are less
student-ready.

For K-12 there is also Bugscope
http://bugscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/.

There is Chickscope. I thought I was good because I could   hatch chickens,
but this is much , much more and then some. I still get to teach what I know.
There is so much that is new, and different that reading out of the book
should be a crime IF that is all one does.

Think . Library of Congress. Think Perseus, think www.earthwatch.org.

I think a lot of people are only talking about machines. I am talking about
content and pedagogy.
Here is an example that a student could teach or point to for a teacher.
But as a person trained
in geography teachers    need some level of introduction and should know the
resources.

May I ask who will teach the behavior modification? It is the personalization
of one's new teaching style based on the use of technology. I doubt that a
kid can teach a teacher
ways of managing a new way of teaching, it has to be learned.

 But there are even more resources on the George Lucas Educational Foundation
that are professional development for teachers.

I think teachers should be treated as the professionals that we want them to
be.
I am certainly   going to NASA for ASEC training and then I will do
professional development with it.

 NASA
NASA

 has some of the best high-quality free resources for teachers at all levels,
including lesson plans, posters, multimedia, photos, professional-development
workshops, and interviews with scientists. Subjects are earth science, space,
and technology. NASA also runs summer workshops.
My favorite of their sites is http://www.windows.ucar.edu/. This is a web
site at three different levels of student knowledge and it is deep. With the
web
teachers need more than shallow knowledge.

 National Science Digital Library http://nsdl.org/
The National Science Digital Library is a free online library for education
and research in science, math, technology, and engineering, with many resources
for teachers.

 GIS resources   www.gis.com
GIS Day showcases real-world applications of GIS (geographic information
systems) technology. GIS.com introduces you to GIS and uses technology for
capturing, managing, analyzing, and imaging all forms of geographical
information.
The GIS software and service company ESRI has two sites, GIS for Schools and
GIS
for Libraries and Museums have many resources for integrating science, math,
and social studies. The data is solid, and photos are beautifully done.

 Modeling Across the Curriculm
http://mac.concord.org/
.
Modeling Across the Curriculum is a five-year research project to study the
impact of computer modeling tools on secondary-level science learning.

Had enough.. I am just warming up. This is just one of my workshops..

Bonnie Bracey   Sutton