I have posted about this before.  I once encountered a teacher returning
to college in her late forties or early fifties who was quite confirmed
and proud of the fact that she and computers had done a thorough and
complete job of keeping their distance and not meeting for any purpose.
This teacher is a high school science teacher who wanted a print out of
article citations on her topic so that she could find them in the stacks.
Somebody else was to get the citations, look them up in the online catalog
and provide her with the citation and call number blend so that she could
amble up to the shelves where they resided and photocopy the articles.
This teacher was very unthrilled when I told her I would give her one
citation and call number and then show her how to look up more.  I got her
on a computer and was about to engage in information science force feeding
when a computer internet outage of about one hour intervened, she went to
the shelves to claim her article and I never saw her again.

Generalizations like "People can develop without structured training" are
exceedingly dangerous and deny the diversity in our society.  Diversity is
not just a matter of different sexes, different racial or ethinic
background or one of income status only.  Diversity also lies in areas
like personality, flexability or the lack thereof, interest in or total
hostility to technology.  I have run into in my various areas of public
contact with quite a few teachers who are upstanding devout members of the
Church of Computer Refusal and these are elders, priests and leaders of
this church.  Many of these folks will not be changed by a structured
program such as a boot camp with water torture or beatings as an incentive
to thrive in their computer literacy skills, much less develop without
structured training.  How, for example, are students going to learn
research skills for building a bibliography on a topic if their teachers
do not know that public libraries in many states provide public access to
databases from sources like EBSCO, First Search, Infotrak from Gale /
Thompson, ProQuest Direct and others.  These teachers do not bother to go
to the public libraries in their area to find out what is offered on
computer for student research and they most certainly do not learn
anything about how to use these tools for research questions so they teach
students headed to college nothing about them.  Then the students go to
colleges where there are few who are skilled in the use of databases and
have financial and time pressures and may settle for purchased term papers
or make do for their research citations with what they can find in Google
without even a clue that there is a Google Books or a Google Scholar.

Here is the original post that includes the story about the teacher who
refused to use computers.

EDUCATION: TECHNOLOGY : EDUCATION: K-12: TEACHERS: Some Opinionated
Comments Regarding Technology Skills in the K-12 Learning Experience
<http://snipurl.com/ti70>

Here is a post in which I go into some more detail and cite other posts
regarding this topic.

Re: [DIG_REF] RESEARCH: RESOURCES: Google Isn't Everything
<http://snipurl.com/ti73>

Even if the state library system and local public libraries in a specific
place do not offer databases, there are still places where a teacher
wanting to learn about these tools may do so.  The ERIC, TRIS and PUBMED
databases are available from the United States Federal Government.

EBSCO offers a database free to the public and in particular to teachers
that is discussed in these two Net-Gold posts.

DATABASES: EDUCATION AND ERIC: From EBSCOhost: Teacher Reference Center
(TRC) - Journal Information for K-12 Teachers and Librarians
<http://snipurl.com/ti7e>

DDN] Using the EBSCO Elementary Secondary Education Database for
Adolescent and Adult Health Education Knowledge
David P. Dillard
Fri, 12 May 2006 09:22:59 -0700
<http://www.mail-archive.com/digitaldivide@mailman.edc.org/msg05482.html>

The opportunities are there.  Computers for the home and internet access
are getting cheaper.  For the teacher who refuses to have any part of this
scene, however, putting them in a room with a computer connected to the
internet, with a nice mug of hot chocolate and nice soft music playing in
the background is not likely to cause these people to develop without
structured training and even perhaps with it, shotgun pointed to their
head or not and as a result, many students will have a much harder time
before they get to college and even more so when they are in college in
any of their academic pursuits that require serious bibliographic
research.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University