But... why Javascript hurts you that much? What did it do to you?

Yesterday, I was on digitalmars.com, browsing the archive for the D newsgroup. Actually, I just had it open in a tab, and was actively browsing another website. I wondered why the browser had such a bad response. Finally, I figured out, that the cause was some JavaScript code included from Amazon. It showed some applet on the bottom of the archive page, and it didn't even work. All it did was displaying some loading gif animation and eating CPU. When I blocked Amazon, all was fast and responsive again.

Another example is Candydoc. That tree on the left is awful JavaScript hackery. It only works if JS is enabled, and even then it is slow, annoying to use, and all that. Candydoc advertises itself as "Produced result is AJAX web-application that is compatible with all mainstream web browsers." Without AJAX, the authot of Candydoc would have done a much better job. Now isn't that typical?

(By the way, AJAX for offline browsable documentation? What?)

And sorry, I can't stop my rant. Did you ever see those polls, which are mostly added on the left or right border of a webpage? Lately, I only see AJAX-style ones, and you can use them only with JavaScript enabled. When you vote, they show an animation, which alpha blends from one display state into another. Wheee, great. In the old days, you had to wait for the slow GUI to respond. Today, you wait for the GUI animation to finish. Both introduce a small but annoying delay.

And not to forgot, when some dirty piece of AJAX JavaScript code runs wild. Then it will send HTTP requests in a loop, even though the page finished loading. Good that we have Noscript to trash the AJAX programmer's worthless effort.

Sometimes I love new technology.